By 1st Lt Tori Hight
Air Force Public Affairs Agency
The Air Force isn’t just a job to most Airmen…it’s a way of life. It’s engrained in you from day 1 of Basic Military Training and throughout the years of your career even as it fades, gets “reblued,” and sometimes wears thin — it never dies. This lifestyle means habits and quirks that made sense to others in the military will follow you throughout your life on the outside — where those same habits probably earn you a strange stare or two from the average passerby. So, let’s celebrate those quirks and habits with our fourth installment of: You know you’re in the AF when…
1) Your young children approach strangers in uniform and call them “Mommy” or “Daddy”
PHOTO: Chances are every single kid in this room called him Daddy when he walked in. Seriously, have you ever been to the child development center in uniform? It’s like an angry mob…
2) You make your bed at home with perfect hospital corners
PHOTO: Because if you don’t make your bed with perfect hospital corners – people will die!
3) You have at least one pet with a military-related name
PHOTO: Bonus points if the pet actually served in the military as well.
4) Saying sir or ma’am is automatic
PHOTO: Just don’t confuse the two. You can only do so many “Ma’am you are a ma’am, not a sir, ma’am” pushups.
5) You always have a pen on you
PHOTO: How else can you fill out your Form 341?
PHOTO: Party shirts anyone?
7) When the Internet is down, no one can work
PHOTO: Now…which button was it?
8) You can’t bring yourself to walk across the grass…ever
9) Your whole table orders water to drink at lunch
PHOTO: Just don’t be like this guy in a restaurant. Wait staff won’t appreciate cleaning this up.
10) Ladies: you get your hair cut when you are home on leave visiting family because you can’t find anyone good near your base
PHOTO: Just a few inches off the bottom please…